sunflowery's Diaryland Diary


A long description of a weekend that went by too fast

Overall, a good weekend was had by all. And by all, I mean me and Bob.

Friday at work was another story. Me and several co-workers were pulled from our regular duties and sent to the "dungeon" or basement of our building to perform menial labor. Apparently, there is a manager in training and development that has a class to train our new bankers. There are materials for that class. About 100 pieces. Each banker gets a box full of materials. Guess whose job it is to collate, stuff, sort, box and mail those materials. That's and several co-workers. Guess how many boxes have to go out? 400. Guess how many we did on Friday? 100. Guess who decided it was OUR job to do this? That's right, manager of the OTHER department. She basically dumped it all on my manager's lap, giving her orders, directions, directives and expectations. No thanks, no appreciation, no "I'm sorry to have to do this, but..." Nope. Needless to say, spirits were not high on Friday and everyone got behind on their regular work. I got home on Friday exhuasted and basically crashed on the couch only to not move until bed time.

Saturday was heavenly in that I was able to sleep in. Mmmmmm. Felt so good. Bob was fortunate enough to get some hours at the gas station, so he was up and out early. I got up, did some dishes, watched some taped TV, crocheted and made lunch. I brought Bob his lunch and then went for my 2 mile walk. It was NICE outside. I so enjoyed it. The only down side was that the batteries in my tape player died about 3/4 into my walk. But I lived. I got back home and then went to get Bob his Valentine's Day present. I went to P@per W@rehouse and found red, heart, mylar balloons on sale for $.60 each. I bought an even dozen and a card. I hid them in the trunk of my car so hubby was none the wiser.

I got home and started to crochet again. Bob came home from work, happy but exhausted. He wasn't home 10 minutes when a gal from church called and asked if we would like to come to the church V-day banquet scheduled to stat an hour and a half from right then. We had wanted to go, but couldn't afford the tickets. The gal from church said the tickets were paid for by a couple that couldn't make it and just wanted someone to enjoy themselves. So we said, "OK!" I quickly got ready and we were off.

The banquet was a blast! The room was decorated quite beautifully with white lights, pink tissue paper covered the florescent light fixtures, and red and silver hearts hung from the ceiling. The tables were covered with pink and red tableclothes and each one had candles and flowers and candy as centerpieces. Fun! The food was great, the company was fabulous, and the funny and sweet. Even in the midst of all that love and romance, Bob and I had a short fight. I don't know what it is about me but I get so easily frustrated with things and then if Bob tries to "help" I feel like he is "telling" me that I am doing it wrong and that by helping me, he is doing it right. Basically what happened is that I brought my camera but 3 pictures into the evening, my batteries died and I couldn't get the lens to go back into the camera. I did everything I knew to do and it was just dead. Bob picked it up to look at it and I just took offense for no good reason. When he saw I was mad, he said something along the lines of how I something. I can't even remember what he said. And it wasn't what he said, but it was that word ALWAYS and how he said it. That was it. I put my napkin down, pushed away from the table and walked purposefully out of the room, down the hall and into the women's room. I didn't even cry. I was just so mad. And for no good reason. It was so strange. After about 10 minutes, I composed myself enough to go back into the room. Bob was not there, so I sat with my back to his chair and watched the entertainment. Bob came back about 5 minutes later and about 10 minutes after that, he rubbed my neck and said he was sorry. I said I was sorry and the rest of the night it was like we had never had a disagreement at all. We talked about it on our way back home and got it all worked out.

The other thing that kind of marred the evening was that we sat with a couple we know from church and we know they are having problems. The whole night long, the guy did everything he could to serve his wife and nothing he did was good enough. If he got her coffee, he didn't get her cream. If he got her water, it didn't have ice. If he got her utencils, he forgot the napkin. Sheesh. She made rude and derogatory remarks about him, in front of him all night long. And when he went to put his arm around her, she leaned as far forward as she could so he wasn't touching her and he ended up with his arm on the back of her chair. It was so sad. He was trying so hard and she was never happy. I hope I am NEVER like that with Bob. I try so hard not to be. He is so thoughtful and sweet...I never want to take that for granted.

Sunday, I went to church and Bob went to work. Church was good. I needed to hear the message on faith. Except, one dear lady came up to me and said that she was so thankful when she saw Bob walking into church the other week. I was about to tell her that he was only walking because he was so stubborn and that he paid for that with 3 straight days of pain, but she went on and on about how God is healing Bob and how he is walking it out in faith and blah, blah, blah. I admit that in my heart I doubt that. He shows no signs of a physical healing. Not that I don't believe God can't or even won't heal Bob, because I do. But it hasn't happened yet. And I just know that Bob didn't walk into church that day because he felt healed. He walked into church because of his pride and not wanting to appear weak and feable. But I didn't tell this lady all of that.

After church I ran a gift over to a pal's house. It was pouring rain and so grey and dreary out. I had been hoping for another sunny day so I could have another nice walk, but it was not to be. I stopped at Walmart and got our tax software which was on sale...SCORE!

I got home and decided to clean. I went on a cleaning binge, moving furniture, purging some stuff, vacuuming walls, ceilings, mattresses and even dusting! When I got done, the apartment was CLEAN, smelled great and I felt good. Bob got home from work and we ran to the grocery store for a few staples.

We got home and I served up the dinner that had been cooking in the crock pot all day...roast beef and potatos with green beans. Yum. The meat was so tender, I could cut it in half with a spoon.

After dinner I decided to make Bob his favorite cookies...chocolate chip. I made about 4 dozen and with the last bit of batter, I shaped a heart shaped cookie and baked that. I put it aside on a plate with a note for Bob to not peak. After cleaning up, I vegged for I was sore, tired and worn out.

This morning I woke up, dressed, and got the balloons from the trunk of my car. I was surpised to see snow on the ground. Wet, slushy, packy snow. It was like the world had been frosted in buttercream icing. Mmmmmm.

I got the balloons in and wrote messages on them with a Sharpie and tied them around our apartment. I put on under the plate with the heart shaped cookie and put his card on top of it. It looked like a valentine fairy land. The cats had a ball playing with all the strings and batting the balloons.

Before I left for work, I opened the card Bob had left out for me. The card was appropriately romantic and mushy. Guess what was inside? Not the romantic surprise I imagined. Nope. A $25 gift card to BP/Amoco.

4:43 p.m. - Monday, Feb. 14, 2005


previous - next

latest entry

about me





random entry

other diaries: