sunflowery's Diaryland Diary


Taking Some Time For Me

We had a great weekend!

Friday night after work I went and met my friend Deb for coffee. Well, we met at *Bux but I had chai and she had water. We were having such a good time that we decided to move to my place for more adult beverages.

On the way home, I stopped at the liquor store to pick up some wine. I got some white zin because I am NOT a wine snob, but I wanted some red because I know Deb likes red. I prefer after dinner or dessert wines myself. I asked the liquor store guy about a Shiraz I had in hand. He said it was OK, but that he had a nice red from Spain that was the perfect "sit on the patio sipping" wine. The price was right so I got it. He was right. It was smooth, a little smoky and not very sweet, but not tart or dry either. Very good stuff. That bottle is almost gone while I still have an almost full bottle of white zin in my fridge.

Deb stayed until almost midnight. I hadn't stayed up that long in ages! But we had a great time catching up and talking. It was good girl time.

Saturday, we had to get up early for the MDA Stride and Ride. Bob's sister, niece and friend met us at our place at 9. I drove my car and Bob drove his truck with his scooter in the back and we picked up our friend Helen on the way. We got to the Xcell Energy Center but could not find the official parking place or entrance. I guess we were a little early. We finally decided to park at some meters near Kellogg and walked to the main entrance. That was when we found out we would be walking inside. Kind of bummer since Saturday was one heck of a gorgeous day.

We got in and registered and found out that as a team, we raised almost $800! Not bad at all. Plus, there is more money coming in. Also, Bob and his sister Karri were interviewed by a guy for MDA. He had a TV camera from channel 5, but he identified himself as some with MDA. That was kind of cool. We could see Bob and Karri in some upcoming MDA promotional stuff. Maybe at the telethon over Labor Day!

We all collected our shirts and water bottles and went to the sign making area. Then we just hung around and chatted for a while until the event started. As a surprise, Bob was asked to share one of his poems with the crown before we set off. That was a huge honor and Bob did very well. He recited his favorite poem, "Forgive and Forget". Right afterwards, a boy of about 11 or 12 came up and told him how much he enjoyed it and how good he thought it was. It was cute!

Then we were off. I took three 40-second video clips with my new camera and they turned out pretty good. I don't know how to post them here, but I do have a link for the photos. Check them here All were taken with the fabulous new camera. I just canít say enough good things about it. I love it.

After the walk, we went across the street to check out the view of the Mississippi river. We could see the location of last yearís walk and we wondered why they moved it especially since it was such a nice day. They had mentioned something about being the first fundraising group to use the facility, as though that meant the Xcell Center had been trying to team up with such groups. Maybe thatís it. They arenít using it for hockey right now, so why not use it for fundraising efforts?

Bob and I got home around 2 or 3 and soon after I felt really ill. I went to bed to lie down and fell asleep for 3 hours. I woke feeling better, but still kind of yucky. I donít think it was the walking or activity of the day, but maybe something I ate. I took it easy the rest of the night and enjoyed another glass of red wine from Spain.

Sunday was church and it was Fatherís Day. I could barely get Bob woken up, let alone out of bed, so I left him to sleep while I went to church. It was a nice service. Deb was there and sat by me. After church I ran errands and came home to make lunch. Bob was still sleeping, so I went out on the patio to enjoy my lunch and called my dad. He surprised me by saying he bought the exact same digital camera I had! Cool! We chatted for a bit, I wished him happy Fatherís Day and then I settled in my patio chair to finish my homework. It was another beautiful day and I was happy to be able to spend it outside, even if it meant I was doing homework.

Bob woke up and joined me outside. We watched families and kids cavorting in the pool and enjoying the sunshine. It was a nice way to spend the day.

Yesterday was same old same old Monday. The weather was not as nice. I awoke to clouds and rain and as the day wore on, it got cloudier and blacker and more ominous. We had BIG old storms roll through around 1:00. Bob met me for lunch at noon and was home before the worst of it started. The wind whipped, the rain fell in sheets, and there were spectacular thunder and lightning shows. Watching it from my 13h floor workstation was a treat.

Thankfully, it was over by the time I left for school. Traffic was not bad and I made it in record time. We were meeting in a different building, though, because they were resurfacing the parking lot of the building we regularly meet. The classroom we met in was damp and muggy and still cold from the air conditioning. It was not comfortable. I spent a lot of class time worrying about a classmate who never showed up. This is not like her and on our first break, I tried calling her but just ended up with voicemail. I emailed her today and hope sheís OK.

Today I took a PTO day and slept in. I cleaned off our patio and gas grill. I took out the trash and I have been enjoying the day sitting on our patio. I want to go swimming, but itís not as much fun to go by myself and Bob wonít go unless NO ONE is in there. I too am still body conscious and find it hard to go in there when lots of people are there. Most of the chickies hanging out there wear skimpy little bikinis and I waltz in with the one piece with a skirt! Oh well, sooner or later, the weather will get hot and muggy enough for me to jump in without a care. Oh! While I was sitting here typing, I noticed Maisey was stretching her lead. I went to see what had her attention and the little bugger had a bird in her mouth! I pulled the lead hard and she let the bird go and it flew off. Little stinker. I think this is the first time she has ever had a bird that I know of. Glad the bird seemed OK. I donít know how or where she found it, but she was pretty proud of herself, even after it flew off.

Tonight I am making Bob his favorite meal, meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Itís the least I can do. Since Iíve been in school, I havenít been as good about making regular meals for him. Poor baby. So, tonight is his treat night. Maybe Iíll make him a cake too.

1:24 p.m. - Tuesday, Jun. 21, 2005


previous - next

latest entry

about me





random entry

other diaries: