sunflowery's Diaryland Diary


Catching Up

It is winter. Gone are the days with highs in the 40s and 50s. All of a sudden, it is as if someone flipped a switch to “winter” and our highs have been in the 20s with wind chills below 0. In addition, we have had our first snowfall. Not a lot of snow fell, mostly just enough to make things frosty, crusty, and icy. Bob is depressed because this means he will not be able to get out as much. I hope that with bundling up, he will be able to get out. Right now, the snow is not so deep as to impair his wheelchair, so that is good news. We will see what the rest of the winter brings.

Is Thanksgiving a week away? How is that possible? Where is this year going? Two months from today, we will be in Florida. I hope that we will be basking in the sunny, sunny, sunshine of the sunshiniest state. Even if it is not sunny, hopefully it will be warmer than it is here at that time. Needless to say, Can. Not. Wait.

So, what do I need to catch y’all up on? Monday was a bummer. That was the day of Paul’s funeral. I was not able to attend because I had to drive back to MN in order to get to class in time. I got home around 2:30 and was exhausted. I left my professor a voicemail asking what kind and how much work I would have to do to make up for missing class. I tried to take a nap before having to leave for class, but kept waiting for the phone to ring with my professor’s call. He never called back so I slunk myself to class only to find out he never got the voicemail. I asked if I could miss class anyway. He said they would rather have me there and lousy than not there at all, so I stayed. I was in a fog the whole time. I cannot tell you one thing we discussed. I got home and fell into bed. To make it worse, it was my princess lady time and I was dying of the cramps even though I had taken the extra strength Midol. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I don’t know why it is so hit and miss unless it has something to do with the absorption factor of my intestines.

Tuesday I went to work late. I slept in for two extra hours. When I got to work, I found out that one of my co-workers had quit and the other was at insurance training school leaving just my boss to take care of things while I was gone. So now, it is just my boss and me keeping things on track. I am hopeful that they will hire a replacement before I leave for my 10-day vacation in January. While at work on Tuesday, I was a zombie. I even fell down. On the floor. In front of a supervisor and everyone. I now sport a lovely scabby area and a big yellow and black bruise on my right knee.

The radio station I listen to in the morning has a feature they call Funeral For a Friend. I submitted Paul’s name and they ran a eulogy for him on Wednesday. I taped it and will send it to Mary. The announcer mispronounced Syttende Mai and Paul’s daughter’s name, but hey, I did not give the phonetics of the words, so it is my fault. It was nice of them to help me remember Paul in this way.

Last night Bob and I went to see one of my all time favorite performers. A friend of ours gave us comp tickets to the Brian Setzer Orchestra Christmas Extravaganza. I was so excited. When I first told Bob about it, he said, “orchestra?” in a little boy whiney voice. I tried to explain to him who Brian Setzer was, but I do not think it clicked with him right away. He was mostly going to keep me company and make me happy. Can I just say that I hate that we don’t have a handicapped accessible van? We took Metro Mobility to the State Theater and they were a half hour late picking us up. Of course they were right on time getting us from the show, but the show wasn’t over yet, so we missed the last thirty to forty minutes. I would have gladly paid for parking in order to see the full show start to finish. Don’t get me wrong, I am grateful for MM and for all they allow us to do, but they are ALWAYS late getting us to a place or they tell us they can’t get us there at all. It is so frustrating.

Anyway, Brian Setzer was AMAZING! This being the Christmas show, they played great arrangements of all our favorite Christmas tunes, but it being Brian Setzer of The Stray Cats fame, they also played all our rockabilly and big band favorites. The music was hot and full of pep. Of course, this being Minnesota and the crowd being good little Scandinavians, there was very little dancing or movement at all. I do not know how people can see live music and not bob their heads to the beat…at the very least. I did take pictures. You know I did. Here’s my Snapfish link if you are so inclined. Minneapolis was the very first stop for this show, so we were treated to a high energy, fun, rocking show.

I found out today that the same show we saw last night is on DVD. I want it, but we are now in that season where I do not know if I should buy it for myself or hint broadly so I get it as a birthday or Christmas gift. Bob and I struggle with this issue with our nieces and nephews (and some of our siblings as well). We see something that we know they might like and want to get it for them for a birthday or Christmas gift only to find out that it was already purchased for/by them. It makes gift giving very difficult at times. Anyway, I think Bob knows I want it and that it is out there, so maybe I will get lucky.

Speaking of gifts, Bob got an unheard of deal on expanded cable so he got it for me for my birthday (and the next 6 months). Problem is, this isn’t the best time for 80+ channels. There is homework to be done and crocheting to be done. I am working longer hours and the holiday/birthday season is notoriously busy. There is not much watching of the TV in November and December…or January for that matter. I do, however use the VCR quite a bit though. I will admit that I have found my old favorite, the Food Network and have caught Rachel Ray a couple of times. LOVE! HER!

I think I am all caught up. Oh, and it is snowing again.

4:50 p.m. - Thursday, Nov. 17, 2005


previous - next

latest entry

about me





random entry

other diaries: