sunflowery's Diaryland Diary


Weekends Like This Make Me Wish For One More Day Off

What a busy weekend. I may be hitting the hay early tonight after all the activity from yesterday and today.

Yesterday began early for both me and Bob. He had to work at the station and I had to go to a mandatory writing workshop at the college.

I'm glad I went. It was 4 hours long and covered most of the English language. We buzzed through it, let me tell you. The most helpful part was when the teacher went over how to organize a paper. She used my paper and my ad as an example, so I got some help! Yay!

After class was over I drove to the hospital where I had my bariatric surgery. My 1 year check up is this month and they need labs. So I had to go to the lab and give 3 vials of blood for them to test. Whoo. Needles don't bother me, unless I have to see them or watch them draw the blood. But I don't, so they don't.

After the big blood draw, I drove to Target to purchase our Mother's Day cards and a wedding present for our friend's wedding. I made out pretty well. I spent less than $40. But I did find some Parmesan & Garlic Cheez-its. Oh. My. Word. They are my new favorite snack food. I also got my friend a couple of inexpensive things off her registry and then we are writing her a check to enclose with it.

I came home from Target with every intention of writing my paper since Bob was still at the station. But my good intentions went awry when I turned on my computer. First, I caught up on my journal reading. Then, my email. Then I found Real Player Radio and found lots and lots of fun internet radio stations. Then, I played Text Twist and then Jorge came to my door to ask me if I could help him with their brand new computer. He had his 5-month old baby brother with him and who can resist the children? Not me, so I went and helped him set it up. Not too hard, but lots and lots of fun. The baby is in his giggling stage now and if you tickle his tummy he laughs and laughs and laughs and it is just the cutest thing ever.

Bob came to Jorge's to get me and we went back to our apartment. We had made some plans to...have relations, but that was thwarted by the premature showing of my period. FUN!

So, I ended up going to bed early in order to get ready for the big walk. Bob went to bed early to get ready for another day of work at the station.

Early in the week, the weathermen were predicting 60 degrees and mostly sunny. I awoke to 32 degrees, cloudy, and sleety. I put on an undershirt, a turtleneck, and my Big Bank Co shirt. I wore 2 pair of jogging pants because I don't own a pair that is lined. (making mental note to buy one next time I have a clothing allowance.) I also got out my winter coat to wear, and a sweatshirt just in case. I also took a huge dose of advil to ward off the impending cramping my stupidly early period was sure to bring.

The walk starting zone was held near downtown Minneapolis. Right by a favorite art center. They had tents, food, warm and cold beverages, a band, and several volunteers. It was cold and windy and so, so grey and gloomy. But the atmosphere of the people at March of Dimes was so festive, that I hardly noticed the weather.

So many people brought their dogs. There were dogs of every kind. I saw a Burmese Mt. Dog (my favorite), a chow, a pug, a Boston Terrier, several black, yellow and chocolate labs, several spanials, mutts and poos, a wire hair terrier, a Scottish terrier and my co-worker brought her Corgi. It was dog heaven.

Out of the 14 of us that signed up, only 5 of us showed, that we could see. There were others from the world of Big Bank Co, but they worked in different departments, campuses and buildings.

I met a woman whose baby was born 4 months early! She is doing well at 8 months of age now, but she was walking because March of Dimes was key to her baby's survival. I met another woman who had had twin boys prematurely. They were both born with some birth defects and the older of the 2 twins died just this past January at 6 years of age. The other twin is doing well though he needs hearing aids and has some birth defects he still struggles with. I met another woman whose grandson was born 3 months prematurely and at age 4 is the picture of health. It was a great walk.

Did I mention the snow? Yes, snow. May 1st and it was snowing. Actually, it was more of an icy/sleety rain. It felt like ice pellets bouncing off my skin. Not so great. Especially with a wind driving the icy pellets into your skin. But it wasn't so bad and at least it wasn't rain! The sun did come out for a bit here and there and that made everything better.

The walk was 6 miles long. The route they mapped out for us was beautiful. We walked the Kenwood and Lake of the Aisles area of Minneapolis and it is just a stunning area to be in at any time of the year.

After the walk, I meandered over to the art center's green house and sculpture gardens for a looksee. It is one of my favorite areas of town to hang out it and I haven't for far too long.

I have a link to the pictures, of course. I didn't take very many, but you are welcome to take a look. You will be asked for an email and password. It's free, so plug them in and take a gander.

The rest of the afternoon was spent working on my paper. I am not sure how good it is, but it's done and I've turned in an electronic version. The hard copy goes to class with me tomorrow. Next week, 2 papers are due! But, as long as I keep up with the reading and do the work, I think I'll be fine.

I wanted to go see Salvador in concert at my school tonight, but I am beat. I think a hot shower and an early bedtime sound like the perfect perscription to a busy, but fun weekend.

6:35 p.m. - Sunday, May. 01, 2005


previous - next

latest entry

about me





random entry

other diaries: